The 2015 Naked Stages fellows are: Marisa R. Carr, Juanda Petris, and Eliza Rasheed. Marisa R. Carr is a composer, playwright, and activist who was named “Best New Political Playwright” by Lavender Magazine earlier this year. She will create a performance piece inspired by her police officer father. Junauda Petris is a dancer, writer, and aerial artist who will be installing ritualistic and artistic spaces around the building, outside of the theatre. Finally, Eliza Rasheed is an actor, dancer, playwright, and director who will use her lens as an Asian multiracial woman to guide her work.
An off-shoot of the Power of Our Voices program, Urban Speaks is an Open Mic night that serves as an opportunity for young poets, singers, song writers, dancers—what ever form of expression calls you—to the stage, perform, and network with other artist.
Urban Speaks highlights local youth and their talents while allowing young people to network and share their many forms of creative practices. After each performance, two minutes are set aside for performers to receive audience feedback on there pieces, creating a community dialogue with the performers and space for constructive criticism.
Urban Speaks is open to the public and is free of cost. Performances take place on the last Friday of the each month from 7 to 9pm at Cafe Southside, 3405 Chicago Avenue S, Minneapolis.
Friday, June 28, 7 – 9pm
Friday, July 26, 7 – 9pm
Friday, August 30, 7 – 9pm
Friday, September 27, 7 – 9pm
Friday, October 25, 7 – 9pm
- April 20, 2015 – Chicago Avenue Project: Elvis Has Left the Building, 7:00 pm at Pillsbury House + Theatre
- April 21, 2015 – Chicago Avenue Project: Elvis Has Left the Building, 4:00 pm at Pillsbury House + Theatre
- April 21, 2015 – Chicago Avenue Project: Elvis Has Left the Building, 7:00 pm at Pillsbury House + Theatre
- April 24, 2015 – Imma Be Me, So Be You, 7:00 pm at Pillsbury House + Theatre
- May 29, 2015 – The Gospel of Lovingkindness, 7:30 pm at Pillsbury House + Theatre
Naked Stages announces the 2015 Fellows
April 20, 2015
Imma Be Me, So Be You
April 16, 2015
Chicago Avenue Project: Elvis Has Left the Building
April 02, 2015